I found the condo we rented for part 1 of our 12-year anniversary trip on Home Away.
We were pleasantly surprised at how spacious it was and that it was better in person than it was in pictures, this love nook was impressive upon arrival. Here is my review:
- They allowed us to check in 2 hours early.
- The furnishings are modern yet quirky- Uncle Sam pointing at you, a cat with sunglasses, never the less the condo was well appointed.
- Two bedrooms, the master has a sitting area and large ottoman, an attached laundry room, a stone wall with gas fireplace, and big flat screen. A cute barn door separates it from the living room.
- Double vanity bathroom.
- Beautiful kitchen with gorgeous backsplash and ample seating for 4 at the breakfast bar and six in the dining area (I’m not cooking but I could).
- Private Deck with gas fireplace.
- A hot tub is available for use. (we never got to it)
- Walking is easy to the main street. Go out to the right and cross the street there is a stairwell that puts you out right to the main action.
- Altitude takes a little getting used to so pace yourself and drink lots of water. After dinner, we ended up doing a 30-minute oxygen bar stop to relieve the pressure in our heads.
- The condo had Roku internet TV but we couldn’t figure it out at least not the bedroom TV.
- The entrance is dark, there is a little corridor, and we used our flashlights on our phones to find the keyhole.
- The rocking seat on the deck looked broken but we just used the table and chair set instead.
- No bathroom off the master you must go through the living room in the middle of the night to tinkle. This was fine for us traveling alone but if another couple had come I would have wanted 2 bathrooms.
- No A/C
The main street has so much to offer, delicious restaurants, tons of gift shopping, live music, oxygen bars, open courtyard with scenic views of the mountain and a river creek. Unlike most tourist strips I found the quality of the products to be superior. I could have knocked out my entire Christmas list in a jiffy.
My favorite shopping spot was a boutique called Bear Claw Trading Company. I wanted everything in there. Check out the jewelry travel roll-up case I bought in this post image gallery.
We decided not to exchange gifts this year and just do the trip but James forgot to pack his sunglasses. We strolled into a couple of Sunglass shops and were educated on polarization, looking straight at the mountain backdrop you could see the difference between my cheap Marshall’s purchased sunglasses and the Tory Burch sunglasses they were trying to sell me.
We tried frames on each other and gave our respective opinions on which pair complimented the other best, shopping together is rare and we had fun with it. If you follow the traditional anniversary gift guide, we should have been exchanging silk linens, we broke tradition and decided two pairs of designer shades would be the perfect gift for year 12! He got Oakley’s and I got Tory Burch from the Sun Logic on Main St.
- The first night we bellied up to the bar and split a wedge salad, and margarita pizza but what was notable was the honey mustard garlic wings at Canteen. (Unfortunately, the bartender’s friends bellied up next to us and continuously recounted the group’s drunken shenanigans from the previous night to the bartender’s glee #annoying)
- Drinks and music at RMU Tavern, we stopped in RMU the second night after dinner at the Southridge Seafood Grill. They have a beer garden with live music but we liked the chill vibe and reggae beats inside.
- We wanted to get out and get hiking so we did quick coffee and breakfast at http://cabincoffeecompany.com/locations/breckenridge/ I don’t eat eggs but James enjoyed his egg sandwiches both days. I opted for the sausage biscuit made with homemade biscuits. Who knew they have WI locations?
- Our first hike was in Arapaho National Park, we were advised by a fellow hiker in the parking lot that we could drive up to the end of Blue Lakes Road and look down on the lake and also hike to the waterfall. It was a moderate hike and a great way to start considering we were both feeling the altitude. We actually felt we could breathe better after the hike. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/blue-lakes-trail–2